Cold and Flu Home Remedy: Hyssop Oxymel

No matter where you live fall is the perfect time to start prepping for winter. Whether it's winterizing your house or stocking up on cold medicine. I am on a journey to make my own natural products when I can or buying them when I cannot. I found a recipe for a Hyssop Oxymel that I'm dying to try! I've made other oxymels just not this one!

 Hyssop-

So what is Hyssop anyways? I actually wasn't sure but when I looked it up I realized I've seen these before!

Hyssop comes to us originally from the Mediterranean and has been a popular medicinal plant for thousands of years. It now grows in many places "naturally" and it's easily grown in your own back yard! *I'm going to plant some myself*

Scientific name: Hyssopus
Higher classification: Nepetoideae
Order: Lamiales
Rank: Genus
Family: Lamiaceae



What's it good for?

Hyssop is used for-
  • Digestive issues & intestinal problems
  • Liver & gallbladder conditions
  • Intestinal pain & gas
  • Colic & loss of appetite 
  • Respiratory problems
  • Cough
  • The common cold
  • Respiratory infections
  • Sore throat
  • Asthma 
  • Hyssop oil is good for scars & stretch marks


  What's an oxymel?

Oxymel – from the Latin oxymeli meaning “acid and honey” has been made and used in many ways. Traditionally, an Oxymel recipe would be used to administer herbs that might not be so pleasant to take on their own. The "acid" we are using is going to be vinegar. 
This centuries-old preparation is specific for coughs and congestion, especially when there is lots of mucus stuck in the lungs. Hyssop oxymel has an alluring taste and pungency of the aromatic hyssop herb brings this preparation to life! *aka this stuff would be nasty otherwise* 



Hyssop Oxymel Recipe-

  • Hyssop (you can use fresh or dried)
  • Honey (I'd suggest something local, just make sure it's good quality not that cheap junk in the bear shaped plastic container)
  • Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs is my favorite)
  • Jar with a plastic lid (I'm a mason jar fan myself)
Instructions:

  1. The next thing you'll want to do is either chop up your hyssop if you are using it fresh or fill half of your container with dried hyssop. 
  2. Fill your jar with honey till it's about 1/3 of the way full. I like a thick mix so I fill it to half.
  3. Then fill your jar the rest of the way with the apple cider vinegar! 
  4. Cover & label your container! (make sure to date it)
  5. Let it sit for 2-4 weeks. Then strain it and put into either a different container or back into the old one. 
How much to take:

This can be taken in teaspoon or tablespoon increments. Obviously you can take more if you take teaspoon amounts and not tablespoons. I would personally only take a tablespoon every hour or so as needed. This will last all winter! You can refrigerate it if you like but it should last just fine not refrigerated. Store in a cool location. 

*disclaimer- Hyssop oils aren't safe for pregnant or nursing women. this should also be avoided being taken in large doses, as large doses can cause convulsions. 

















































Comments

Popularity Contest